Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why bother?

I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan, and have watched a variety of movies based on the Great Detective. Some are well done, and some are "WTH?". Oftimes I find ones where I wonder, "Why bother making it a Sherlock Holmes movie? It discards most of the source material, and you could name the detective Ormond Sacker and it would not matter one whit". I recently caught a SH movie called "Case of Evil". Ugh. Holmes is a womanizer(!), Moriarity is a drug dealer (cocaine) and Watson is the police medical examiner. It's like, the names are the same, but the story is totally unrelated to anything Holmesian.

Which leads me to ask, "Why bother?".

2 comments:

  1. I wonder the same things sometimes when I watch movies remade and go 'hunh? why did they do that?' Not just remade either, remade and reinterperated with things added that were never intended.

    I can't fathom/accept anyone other then Basil as Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hendo, were you the one I talked to the other night about this? Specifically, the Sherlock Holmes movie that Guy "Ex. Mr. Madonna" Ritchie is directing, with Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson? Evidently Ritchie, the man who made loud movies like "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "RocknRolla," wants to show a more "action-oriented" side of Holmes. The mind boggles.

    ReplyDelete