Monday, March 9, 2009

24

I'm starting this blog in defiance of those anonymous folks (anonymous according to Hendo, anyway) who'd rather not talk about TV shows like 24 at club meetings because they're not genre material, or something along those lines. Hah! HAH, I say! It is to laugh, I tell you!

Because...24 has rediscovered its mojo, kids. If tonight's episode is any indication, the show has returned to the heady heights of Season 5, also known as the Year of the Ratbag President, otherwise known as the Year of You Won't Know What's Coming Next. SPOILER ALERT... 24 lost a major player tonight, and it sent the show spinning off into a frantic new direction. I think Jon Voight is going to turn out to be a megavillain on the scale of Gregory Itzin's President Logan. I can't wait to see the next episode, and I haven't been able to say that for a couple of years. (Of course, that's partially due to the Writers' Strike.)

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to watch the season finale, because I'm pretty sure it's lined up for the same night (May 18) that I'll be in DC at the Springsteen concert. I guess if anything will make me miss Jack Bauer's Season 7 finale, it'll be the Boss.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed 24 for a couple seasons and then couldn't get into it again. This sounds like a good season to watch. So, is it too late to get started and should I just wait for netflix, or get some of the plot from tv.com and jump in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably jump in now with a little backstory; the season is just past the halfway mark, and Jon Voight has come on board as Jonas Hodges, the no. 1 heavy pulling the strings. Kiefer Sutherland doesn't know he exists yet, but that day is coming. Tonight's episode was excellent; I can't say enough about this season. It is on a par with Season 5, which I still consider the best season so far.

    Although, if you want to wait -- you won't have to wait long. A number of DVD sites have noted that Season 7 will come out on DVD the day after the season finale, in mid-May. That's incredibly early. In past years, they've usually held off releasing the box set until the following fall. So, if Netflix is your thing, May's the month to watch out for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, 24 has come and gone.
    My thoughts.
    "Spoiler Alert" if you haven't watched it.
    The season got off to a good start.
    Once Jack got exposed to the toxin, it was like throwing an anchor around his ankles. What we got was like "75% Jack", or "Jack Lite". Every episode had Jack breaking down in pain and having to get another shot of whatever it was they were giving him. It was painful to watch. Remember Season 3 had Jack coming off heroin, but they thankfully buried that subplot early on.
    Was Tony good? Was Tony evil? On and on and on and on with that mess....
    We get Jack apologizing to the Muslims. Please. Give me a break. We get enough of that traitorous politically correct crap with Obama.

    I think this signals the end of the series. My enthusiasm for next season is nil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a problem with the "apologizing to the Muslims" thing (after all, I voted for Obama, not that it matters) but I agree with you 100% about the post-toxin Jack. It definitely curtailed his effectiveness in the last 6 or so episodes. What began as a very promising season, what with the switch to DC and all, tailed off to a pretty weak finale (Jack on his deathbed, about to be saved by Kimbo). Next season is set in Manhattan, with President Cherry Jones in the Big Apple to give a speech at the UN. I think I heard that Elisha Cuthbert will be a player again. That may kill the series right there.

    Overall, I'd rate this season ahead of Seasons 2 and 6, but below 5, 4, 3, and 1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another thing that bothered me about the season was the demise of CTU. I realize Jack has been getting more and more detached from the group, but CTU always provided a solid base of operations if he needed it. I guess killing Bill Buchanan and turning Chloe into a soccer mom just about cuts all his former ties. I'm sure the real FBI must be thrilled to see how inept they're portrayed on the show. They seemd to be show as more of a hinderance than a help to Jack. I did like the female FBI operative, though.

    ReplyDelete