Saturday, January 30, 2010

What's Coming in 2010

In place of a much-needed club meeting -- damn you, Mother Nature -- I find myself in front of the computer with nothing to do. (I've already vacuumed the house.) So I thought I'd resurrect an old Forum chestnut and lay out some key genre films to look for as the year moves along. There are some gems, some surprises, some train wrecks waiting to happen, some why-bother? remakes, and Saw VII 3D. 'Nuff said. Here ya go:

FEBRUARY

THE WOLF MAN. Hell, yes. And it opens on my birthday, to boot! I haven't looked forward to a movie this much since Inglourious Basterds. The trailer looks properly atmospheric, and it's got a great cast.
SHUTTER ISLAND. If I hadn't already read the Dennis Lehane novel that Martin Scorsese's film is based on, I'd probably be looking forward to this one more. But the trailer looks creepy; I didn't think Martin had it in him.
THE CRAZIES. Remake #1, but I'll be there, because it's based on the one George Romero movie I've never seen. (I think.)
And "Sleeper No. 1": FROZEN. I've seen the trailer; it looks intense. Early buzz on the geek sites is very high. Three friends get stuck on a ski lift when the resort shuts down for the weekend, and no one is coming back until the following weekend. Get the picture?

MARCH

CLASH OF THE TITANS. Remake #2. The first time I think Ray Harryhausen has ever been remade -- that's practically sacrilegious -- but once again, the trailer looks promising. (I'm a sucker for a well-cut trailer.) Sam Worthington is hot off AVATAR, and with Liam Neeson as Zeus and Ralph Fiennes as Hades, who knows?

To be continued. We just ordered pizza, and I have to clear the sidewalk.

3 comments:

  1. Back at it. Here's what else is coming this year...still in March...

    ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Burton and Depp rip into the Lewis Carroll classic.
    PIRANHA 3D. With a title like that, how can it miss?
    "Sleeper No. 2": HOT TUB TIME MACHINE. Okay, forget the piranhas. THIS is the title that can't miss. I've seen the trailer, and it's surprisingly funny.

    APRIL

    KICK-ASS. Generating unbelievable buzz online since a rough cut premiered at Harry Knowles' annual Butt-Numb-a-Thon last month. A kid with absolutely no super powers puts on a green masked jumpsuit and goes out looking for trouble. It's violent enough to make Tarantino blush, from what I hear.
    A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. Remake #3. Jackie Earle Haley, in a bit of flawless casting, steps into the iconic finger-blades of Freddy Krueger. I liked him as Rorschach in WATCHMEN last year; he was the best thing in the film. So I'll give this a look.

    MAY

    IRON MAN 2. Everyone's back, along with Mickey Rourke as a revamped Whiplash and Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow. Don Cheadle takes over from Terrence Howard as James Rhodes, just in time to put on the War Machine suit. Lots of firepower ensues.

    More to come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more for MAY...

    ROBIN HOOD. Ridley Scott directs Russell Crowe again, this time as the legendary English hero. At least we know Crowe can do the accent.

    JUNE

    TOY STORY 3. It's this year's Pixar, which is all you need to know.

    JULY

    INCEPTION. Christopher Nolan's first film since THE DARK KNIGHT, with Leonardo Decaprio. The teaser trailer looks insane. I honestly don't know what this is about, but it's Nolan.

    AUGUST

    JONAH HEX. The last DC comic book hero I ever expected to see made into a movie. Josh Brolin stars in the maimed gunslinger title role, with Megan Fox as the love interest.
    THE EXPENDABLES. The most testosterone in one film -- ever. Sylvester Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Jet Li, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, with Bruce Willis and Governor Schwarzengger in cameos. Lots of stuff blows up, and then what's left blows up, too. For those who thought RAMBO was too girly-girl.

    SEPTEMBER

    The Dead Zone. No, seriously, I got nothin'. Read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OCTOBER

    LET ME IN. The Americanized version of the hit Scandinavian vampire film of 2008 -- and when have THOSE ever worked? Directed by the guy who directed CLOVERFIELD. If he's dumb enough to do this thing in shaky-cam, he should be shot.
    THE SOCIAL NETWORK. The story of the computer geeks who created Facebook. Not really a genre film, but it's directed by David Fincher, and we all know what HE directed. Se7en, Zodiac, Benjamin Button...
    SAW VII 3D. Gore in your lap.

    NOVEMBER

    HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, PART I. I'm curious to know where they plan on breaking the novel. Harry, Ron, and Hermione on the run, with little or no Hogwarts action. (That's Part 2. Trust me.)
    RED DAWN. Remake #4. I don't understand why this is being made at all.

    DECEMBER

    TRON: LEGACY. You know how I'm the guy in the club who never really liked 2001? Well, I'm also the guy who never really liked TRON. But the rest of you -- enjoy. I'll be in line for the other Jeff Bridges movie this month.
    THE GREEN HORNET. Seth Rogen takes off a bunch of weight to play Brit Reid, masked super-sleuth. I think that Stephen Chow guy plays Kato, but I might be wrong.
    TRUE GRIT. Remake #5, also know as the other Jeff Bridges movie this month. Directed by the Coen brothers. Bridges plays Rooster Cogburn and Matt Damon co-stars in the Glen Campbell role. All western fans, unite. You have nothing to lose but your money, buying a crapload of tickets.

    ReplyDelete